ITAR Frequently Asked Questions - attendees
- What is form DD2345, where can I get it and why is it necessary?
Joint Certification Program tutorial for more information.
- Why do I have to register twice, can’t I just do one registration?
Registering for ITAR restricted sessions requires additional steps than event registration, and must be completed in person at show site.
- Why do I have to show proof of citizenship?
These sessions have been designated as U.S. only sessions and you must show proof of U.S. citizenship to show you meet that requirement. Documents that show citizenship are: a valid U.S. Passport, Birth Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, Naturalization Certificate. Further clarification can be found at
- I am an exhibitor. Can I attend ITAR sessions?
Yes, as long as your conference registration includes the technical session, and you meet all ITAR registration requirements.
- Why do I need to show proof of employment?
- You must be able to show that you are an employee of the company to use its DD2345, and if you are a government employee, you need proof of employment to be able to register for the sessions.
- Why do I have to show photo identification?
We must be able to verify your identity.
- Do I need to show my photo id to get into a session?
Yes, you will be required to show your photo id and your ITAR badge each time you enter an ITAR restricted session room.
- I’m presenting a paper in an ITAR session. Do I need to register for the forum?
Yes, you must be registered for the forum AND you must register for ITAR attendance. Failure to meet all requirements will mean you will not be able to present your paper and it will be withdrawn.
- I’m a session chair in an ITAR session. Do I need to register?
Yes, you must be registered for the event AND you must register for ITAR attendance. Failure to meet all requirements will mean you will not be able to enter ITAR restricted session rooms.
- What happens if I don’t have proof of citizenship when I arrive on-site?
You will not be permitted to register for or attend ITAR sessions without meeting all registration requirements, including proof of citizenship. You are welcome to participate in all non-restricted aspects of the event.
- How do I get a copy of the papers presented in an ITAR session?
A DVD of papers presented in ITAR sessions is available for purchase on-site at the ITAR Registration Desk. You must show your ITAR registration and photo ID in order to purchase these papers. Papers will not be available for sale following the event. DVDs must be picked up during the distribution time indicated on your receipt, typically several hours after the last ITAR presentation is given at the forum.
- Can I purchase the ITAR papers after the event?
No, there is no distribution of ITAR papers after the forum.
- Can I use electronic devices during an ITAR session?
No phones, computers (other than for the presenter), iPads, cameras, or other electronic devices with cameras, recording, or two-way communication capabilities will be permitted into the ITAR session room. Please check all electronics at the Electronics Check-In Desk before entering the session room. All electronics not picked up by the end of the day will be turned in to the facility Lost and Found.
- Is note-taking permitted during ITAR sessions?
Yes you may take notes during an ITAR paper or session, however, we remind you to treat those notes as you would any other restricted materials, as they may contain information that is not cleared for public release.
- My spouse/guest is with me, can they attend my ITAR paper presentation?
If they meet the requirements for ITAR registration.
- Why do I have to be registered for the conference in order to attend ITAR sessions?
AIAA conference sessions are included in the conference registration fees. You must be registered for the conference in order to attend the sessions.
- I am a student. Can I attend ITAR sessions?
Students have separate requirements for attending restricted sessions. If you are a student and wish to attend, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to the meeting for information on the specific registration policies and requirements. Due to additional requirements, students who have not received a reply email from AIAA will not be permitted to register online.
- At what AIAA events can I present ITAR restricted materials?
- AIAA Aviation Forum
- AIAA Propulsion and Energy Forum
- AIAA Space Forum
- AIAA Defense and Security Forum.